Also the biggest helper (and hindrance, timewise), was recording the tutorial (and talk!) in batches and stitching them together with some light video editing. I have access to Camtasia through work, but I’m sure there are a number of lightweight options out there. I recorded the pieces, imported the media to Camtasia, and from there was able to do things like edit out the flubs, remove dead airtime, add small graphics (things like speeding up loading time screens) and audio editing like noise reduction. The only issue with this is the fact that, given I had to export to 1920x1080 was the render time. On my machine for my tutorial, the rendering took around an hour. And if I found something wrong, making an edit was fine (the project file’s autosave feature is a lifesaver), but the re-render took another hour.
But, with Camtasia I could do things like fake a desktop (spoilers!). By having one track as a background image, the viewport window recordings could be made to look like they were on my desktop, which I think improves the look of the final recording.
Recording the tutorial in batches over multiple hours during one day meant I could get that all done, then splice it together. From my podcast guesting I knew that one way to ensure that I was able to make notes about my flubs ‘live’ was to ensure that I stopped speaking for a few seconds, then start the line over again. That meant that the audio visualisation had a noticed missing spot, which made it easy to pick out the parts to cut.
Importing all the media into Camtasia and making it all look the same was a process, but I worked out some tricks, namely:
I’m always learning more about this new world, so hopefully some of this helps y’all.